Mie Ayam Bumbu Petis (Chicken Noodle with Petis Seasoning)



Originally comes from China, noodle has been an integral part of Asian countries’ cuisine and has become one of the most popular carbo sources. It comes in numerous types of shape, size, and basic ingredient. In Indonesia, noodle, spelled as “mie” or simply “mi”, is a popular and favorite dish. It has become a daily menu from breakfast to late supper. Many Indonesian regions have developed their own signature noodle dish which is very different from and can not be found in the noodle’s country origin. The addition of various local ingredients and spices and the adjustment to the local taste do enrich the noodle dish creations. A few to name are the popular Mie Celor Palembang which comes in coconut milk soup base, the savory Mie Godog Jawa with typical Javanese taste and spices, and the spicy Mie Goreng Cakalang enriched with shredded Skipjack Tuna and aromatic fresh Kemangi (Sweet Basil leaves).

Mie Ayam or Chicken Noodle is a noodle dish very familiar to me, or I can say that it’s a dish that is close to my heart hahaha. In Malang, Mie Ayam sellers and food stalls are like mushroom in the rainy season; you can find them easily, everywhere. The sellers offer their chicken noodle with various toppings. At least, I eat my favorite chicken noodle once in a week in a canteen near my campus. I love to enjoy the chicken noodle with beef ball, fried wonton, and “generous” addition of sambal (chili paste). Sometimes, with a skewer of sweet quail egg satay. Oh, it’s damn good!

I was initially going to make Cwie Mie Malang, a signature noodle dish from my hometown. But then, I changed my mind when I found a unique chicken noodle recipe using petis (fermented shrimp paste) as seasoning. I mean, like I have said, I know chicken noodle very well; I’m really familiar with it and often have it almost every week. But I was wrong, I just knew a new variant of it with petis. It will make me feel guilty and not a true lover of chicken noodle if I don’t give a try to this new chicken noodle variant. Petis, I know my chicken noodle will taste so Eastern Javanese, yeaayy!!! :D

For the petis, I used petis udang (fermented shrimp paste), product of Ny. Siok from Sidoarjo :D. There are some kinds of petis, but here, the two most popular are petis udang (made of shrimp) and petis ikan (made of fish).


Different from its sibling, the dried shrimp paste (“terasi” in Indonesia or “belacan” in Malaysia and Singapore), which is used and popular in almost all Southeast Asian countries (including Thailand, Vietnam, and the Philippines), petis seemingly is only popular in Indonesia – especially in East Java (Surabaya, Sidoarjo, Lamongan, and Madura). Some famous Eastern Javanese food that use petis are Rujak Cingur, Krengsengan, Telur Petis, Tahu Petis, Bandeng Asap, Lontong Kupang, Semanggi, Lontong Balap, Tahu Campur, and Tahu Tek.

Those food use petis as seasoning mentioned above taste really good, I love every of them. So, now it’s the time for my chicken noodle married with the special taste of petis! And my curiosity ended up very sweet. My “Mie Ayam Bumbu Petis” tastes REALLY good and special. Emping goreng (Indonesian chips made of Melinjo/Gnetum gnemon) also makes the chicken noodle sounds even better. In Bahasa I will say it as “Enaaaakkkk pake bangeeeettttt” (slang, yes Indonesian loves to prolong words as exaggeration and to make it more expressive hehehe :D). It’s one of the best-est chicken noodles that I ever have :D. I THANK my recipe book for this special recipe. Why didn’t I make it before? And I wonder why I couldn’t find Mie Ayam Bumbu Petis sellers in Malang? Maybe I shall be the one, LOL :D


Mie Ayam Bumbu Petis
Source: Aneka Masakan Mi, Bihun, dan Kwetiau Populer

Ingredients:
4 rolls fresh egg noodle, boiled and strained
2-3 small bunches of choy sum (flowering cabbage), trimmed and cut into 6-cm lengths, blanched
Emping goreng (Indonesian chips made of Melinjo/Gnetum gnemon)
Crispy fried shallot

Chicken Topping:
1 boneless chicken breast
100 gram straw mushroom
3 tbsp vegetable or olive oil to saute
5 shallots, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 ½ tbsp petis udang (fermented shrimp paste)
1 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
1-2 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
350 ml water
1 tbsp corn starch, dissolved with 4 tbsp of water

Soup:
2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil to saute
5 shallots, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1-2 Salam leaves (Indonesian Bay Leaves)
2 cm fresh galangal, bruised
2 cm fresh ginger, bruised
500 ml chicken stock
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground white pepper
2 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)

Method:
1.    Chicken Topping: cut the chicken breast into small chunks. Slice the straw mushroom, set aside. Saute shallot and garlic until fragrant. Add in chicken, mushroom, petis udang (fermented shrimp paste), kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), salt, ground white pepper, sugar, and water. Stir well and cook until done. Add the dissolved corn starch, stir evenly until sticky. Adjust the taste. Remove from heat.
2.    Soup: Heat the oil and saute shallot, garlic, Salam leaves (Indonesian Bay leaves), galangal, and ginger until fragrant. Pour in the chicken stock and add the soup with salt, ground white pepper, and kecap manis (sweet soy sauce). Bring to boil. Adjust the taste. Turn off the heat.
3.    Arrange the cooked noodle and blanched choy sum in a bowl. Pour in some of the soup, add the chicken topping, and sprinkle with crispy fried shallot. Enjoy it with emping goreng (fried emping).


Gee, I know I forgot to sprinkle crispy fried shallot on my chicken noodle when I was taking picture of it. But I didn’t forget to have it when I enjoyed my noodle :). Hey, can you see a smile of straw mushroom in the bowl? :D


Now, let me wish Eid Mubarak 1434 H for all Muslim friends.
May Eid ul-Fitr bring abundant joy and happiness in your life.
Happy Mudik! Happy Pulang Kampung! Have a great quality time with the whole family ^^
Mohon Maaf Lahir & Bathin – Selamat Lebaran!


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful images and a richly savory recipe--wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jenn: Glad that you enjoy the post, thank you my dear friend.... Have a wonderful day :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, fascinating photograph....
    noodle dish is not that easy to capture...
    kinda salute with your talent my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bang Dedy: Really appreciate your compliment Bang :D. You're right, at many times I found it tricky. The liquid is easily absorbed by the noodle. Too much gravy is also not good as it "sinks" the noodle and topping ingredients. That's why, while adjusting the camera setting I didn't add the gravy first. When the setting is okay, then I pour in the gravy and take the click :D

    ReplyDelete

Just feel free to drop your comment. It will be visible after approval.