[IFP] Soto Udang Bihun - Shrimp and Vermicelli Soto

 Soto Udang Bihun
Hello everyone! So glad that finally I can post my entry for Indonesian Food Party (IFP). Spare time for blogging is recently a luxurious thing for me. Yes, again, teaching, teaching, and teaching :D. Okay Tata, no more babbling, let's directly go to the main topic ^^. I have Soto Udang Bihun (Shrimp and Vermicelli Soto) for today's post. As I had written before on the previous post, Indonesia has so many kinds of Soto. Different places have their own Soto specialty just like Soto Madura, Soto Banjar, Soto Blora, Soto Padang, Soto Betawi, Soto Mahakam, Soto Lamongan, Soto Pekalongan, Soto Bandung, etc. Not to mention, the various ingredients used, the serving method, and the spices used do enrich the variations of Soto in Indonesia. The most popular one is Soto Ayam (Chicken Soto). My most favorite Sotos are Soto Ayam and Soto Madura.

IFP Badge

My aunt loves to bring me fresh Soto Ayam spice paste everytime she visits me. Sometimes she buys it from traditional market or she makes it by herself. As I live in a boardinghouse and cook for myself, that Soto spice paste is a good friend for speedy cooking :D. I love to soto-ize some cooking ingredients such as tofu, tempeh, and potato. I sometimes add Soto spice paste to my omelet and I even made Soto rice that I enjoyed with Camarones en Salsa ^^.

When I run out of my Soto spice paste, I love to buy the instant one in the supermarket :D. For my Soto Udang Bihun, yes, I used the ready-to-use Soto Ayam seasoning mix that you can see from the picture below. As for the ingredients used, the combination was my imagination. I replaced the common ingredients of Soto Ayam with my own favorite ingredients ^^. I added fresh bruised lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves to give more fresh fragrant aroma to the soup. To make your own Soto spice paste, you can refer to this link; click English for the English recipe version.  


Instant Soto Ayam Seasoning Mix


Soto Udang Bihun

Ingredients:
Ready-to-use Soto spice paste
Bruised lemongrass
Kaffir lime leaves
Vermicelli/Sohun Vermicelli, soak in hot water for about 10 minutes
Medium shrimp, remove the dirt and rinse well
Bean sprouts, blanched
Fried diced potato
Hard boiled egg
Crispy fried shallot, chopped green onion and celery for sprinkle
Red tomato, quartered

Method:
Add  shrimp to boiling water to make the stock. Remove shrimp from the boiling stock when the shrimp is done. After that, add in the Soto spice paste, kaffir lime leaves, and bruised lemongrass. Continue boiling the stock. Taste the Soto soup, you may need to add a pinch of salt or sugar to adjust your palate.A few minutes before you turning the heat off, add in again the shrimp with tomato and knotted green onion. Arrange vermicelli in a bowl and top it with blanched bean sprouts, quartered hard boiled egg, shrimp, fried diced potato, and fresh quartered tomato. Pour the Soto soup and don't forget to sprinkle your Soto with crispy fried shallot and chopped celery and green onion. You can also enjoy it with shrimp crackers and chilli sambal :D


So, this is it! We are waiting for your IFP entry ^^


4 comments:

  1. Hi tata, how can i contact you via email

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...This looks so delicious, Ta :D)!! The prawns are so tempting...!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Unknown: you can reach me by sending an e-mail to bcw_blog@yahoo.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @CG: You can imagine it, CG! I made the soup from shrimp stock added with soto spices, yum yuuuuummmm :D

    ReplyDelete

Just feel free to drop your comment. It will be visible after approval.